Friday, February 10, 2012

It's 10 P.M., Do You Know Where Your Employees Are? 4 Steps To Set After-Hours Work Expectations

The other day I sat with three senior leaders from three different industries. One was the CEO of an international PR and communications firm. One was a partner of a professional services firm, and the other the president of a national not-for-profit. As it often does, our discussion about work and life turned to technology. I asked them how they used their smartphones and laptops to stay connected to work after traditional business hours:
”I keep my phone on 24/7, but I don’t respond to everything, all the time.”--CEO of the PR and communications firm.
“I sometimes send emails at 4 a.m., and on the weekends just to get a jump-start on my day and week.”--president of the national not-for-profit.
“My phone goes in my briefcase when I get home and I don’t look at it again until the next morning.”--partner of a professional services firm.
Three leaders, with three very different uses of technology. So I asked them, “How many of you have sat down with all of your direct reports and explained how you prefer to connect with work, and specified what you expect of them?”
Read the full story: http://www.fastcompany.com/1814467/4-steps-to-clarify-after-hours-work-expectations-for-employees?partner=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed: fastcompany/headlines (Fast Company Headlines)

No comments:

Post a Comment