Friday, August 20, 2010

Employee Engagement and Motivation - Two Magic Words That Will Multiply Team Performance

I was with my mentor today and we were talking about his time in management and he was relaying a story to me that left me stuck for words. In fact the message was so basic that I may have disregarded it completely.

He was telling me that he had just taken on a new role in a large organisation and he received the wonderful perk of having his own secretary. At the end of his first day or so he uttered the two magic words - not the kind uttered by Harry Potter but the kind expressed my masters in the area of people motivation - wait for it - yes he said "thank you". As I said I almost disregarded this information but his secretary was gobsmacked and may have visibly appeared shocked so he said "What's wrong?" thinking he may have inadvertently insulted her. But she said "I have worked here for 25 years and you are the first person who has thanked me". 25 years and not one thank you - where did the woman ever get the motivation to come into work?

For the complete article, go to:

Employee Engagement and Motivation - Two Magic Words That Will Multiply Team Performance

No comments:

Post a Comment